Sunday 4 August 2013

The Limelight (An acrostic horror)

Audiences are as fickle as spoilt children.
Beat them down, break them, batter them, it makes no difference.
Criss-crossing before the gathered I orate, gesturing broadly, pouring out my soul.
Doesn’t matter though; try as I may, the audience’s eyes drift from me to the minutiae of their surroundings.
Even with their lives on the line, you can’t hold people’s attention for more than a few minutes.
Forget them, for they are not the true audience, I must focus where my attention is most needed.
Gathering myself I resume my oration into the glare of the cameras.
“How can decent people stand by while a government unjustly imprisons its own citizens for the crime of belief?”
“I can no longer stand idle, and neither should you.”
“Just five minutes left for the government to release my brothers, or I will execute all the hostages you see behind me.”
Killing, how did it ever come to this?
Love, love for all mankind is what we preach, but they have forced me to this.
“Make up your mind people; will you stand for a government that would allow innocents to die in order to suppress what they consider dangerous thinking?”
Nervous looks are coming from my brothers at arms.
Once we had set upon this course, I don’t think anybody seriously thought it would come this far.
Pragmatic thinking would suggest any sane person would release a few dozen non-violent prisoners rather than allow innocent citizens to suffer.
Quickly I puff out my chest, and nod to each of them in turn to show my resolve has not faltered.
“Reality will soon set in across this country; your government does not care about you.”
“Some of you are probably thinking, why should you care about a small group with some strange ideas?”
“Time will come when you will be next on their list, and who will step up when they come for you?”
“Unless you all rally together soon, it will be too late.”
Very slowly the second hand crawls around the clock, but still the cell phone in my hand remains silent.
With time almost run down I turn my weapon on the crowd, but nobody is paying attention, nobody sees me.
Xenophobic morons the lot of them anyway, I don’t feel the least bit of sympathy.
“Your government does this, not I.”

Zero hour and I know what must be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment